Tuesday, December 8, 2015

EmpathyWorks Reaches 25,000 Views!

Since my First Post on EmpathyWorks on July 11, 2009, the blog has now reached 25,000 views!
My 79 posts on EmpathyWorks have covered a range of topics that reflect my interest in the role of relationship-building in health care and the impacts of empathy, compassion and patient engagement on patient experience and health outcomes.
Some posts have shared new research findings on the value of clinician empathy or have featured the wisdom of  Carl Rogers, Jodi Halpern, Brené Brown, Bernie Lown, Jessie Gruman, and many others who have made empathy, compassion or patient engagement a focus of their professional careers. 

Other EmpathyWorks posts have featured the experience of people, like myself, who are coping with the challenges of living with a chronic condition. When I first started blogging, several posts were linked to a column I wrote for MPNforum, an online magazine for people, or loved ones of people, with myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPNs). 
My heart goes out to my fellow "MPNers", who regularly demonstrate empathy and compassion for others in their posts on support sites on Facebook, such as Polycythemia Supportive Friends, and MPN Foum.
Since I have started blogging, I have found many inspiring and helpful blogs, websites and social media sites that address the topics of empathy, compassion and patient engagement. Links to these sites are available in the right column of the EmpathyWorks blog page. I particularly recommend Edwin Rutsch's Culture of Empathy website, a treasure trove of links, resources and commentary on empathy and its application to a wide range of topics, from health care to education to international relations.
You will also find links to organizations that focus on training clinicians in patient-centered communication skills, such as the American Academy on Communication in Healthcare (AACH) and the Institute for Healthcare Communication (IHC). IHC and AACH have played critical roles in my personal and professional development as an educator and advocate for patient-centered communication training.
Other organizations, such as Center for Advancing Health and the Institute for Patient and Family-Centered Care offer approaches and resources for advancing patient and family engagement at all levels of health care, from patient involvement in self-care and self-management to patient and family engagement in health care policy and health system redesign.
I hope you will continue to visit EmpathyWorks and that you will also share your reactions, insights and resources.

Enjoy!

Michael

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Mke! I always enjoy your thoughts and idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the empathy views milestone Michael!

    Thanks for the mention in your post.
    I'm starting work on an online collaborative empathy training wiki. I wondered if I could talk with you about it on Skype?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy to talk about it. I am available most evenings, on ET. Let me know a good time.

      Delete
    2. I sent you an email to try and line up a time Michael. did you get it? my email is EdwinRutsch@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Really enjoy reading your posts on empathy! I just wrote a post about exercises for your empathy muscle. Would you mind taking a look and giving me some feedback? It's not specifically related to health care, but I think you'd still be a valuable resource. Thank you! http://catherinaleipold.com/2016/02/15/9-exercises-for-your-empathy-muscle/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete